Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My portable air conditioner will not start. I notice the

Customer Question
My portable air conditioner will...
My portable air conditioner will not start. I notice the cable is melted a little and the outlet it was plugged into on the surge protector is also melted. I disconnected the air conditioner from the surge protector and plugged it directly into the wall, but it still will not turn on.
Can you help me solve the problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/9/2016
Electrician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you will need to replace the entire cord and overload protected cord cap, and the electrical receptacle in the wall, it must be 20 amp rated and the breaker that serves that circuit must be 20 amps and the wire from the panel to those receptacles needs to be size 12 awg, copper.

Some people would simply cut the burnt cord overload cap off, and replace it with a 20 amp rated cord cap... all to fit the 120volt wall receptacle, but there is some risk there and it would not be legal to remove the overload protected cord cap.

If you need extensive coaching on all this, I can offer our premium service for that, a $25 extra... let me know if you will need such coaching and if you are interested in paying for it.

We can go from there

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I prefer to have an expert do the repairs. Can you refer me to an electrician in Chino or Ontario
California?

Hello, I will do my best to refer you, however no electrician is trained or experienced with those units... In china, at $1 per hour labor rates those are repairable... in the USA at $100 an hour labor rates, it can cost as much to repair them as to buy new unit.

That is the reason many appliance repair shops in the USA will no work on them, the other reason is that getting parts for many of these chinese brands can be difficult or impossible.

------------

Having said that, you might be able to remove the condensate bucket from the unit and clean off the water level sensor inside at the top of the bucket, or replace the sensor.

Here is a short list of shops in your area that might possibly accept the unit for repairs (but at prices that I might consider to be too high considering the cost of a new unit.)

click here please

NONE of those are well rated! Except AARS... and if you click on their web site link you get Casino advertisements.. it is a bogus company with a 5 star rating,

Let me know if you would like me to spend a few hours coaching you through repairs or not, we can go from there.

Mike, Master Electrician