Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I do not have 220 at the breaker box actually how are you ha

Customer Question
I do not have 220...
I do not have 220 at the breaker box actually my name is ***** ***** are you ha ha I do not have 220 at the breaker box it's a new breaker and new wire going to the hot water heater but I am not getting the 220 amp kind of stock thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About a half a day right now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes Siam I'm retired and I'm just had quadruple heart surgery with my wife also so my finances are Chyna Walsall doing most to handiwork myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: https://m.facebook.com/help/deleteAt the junction box between the electric box and a hater I'm not done any reading there either so I believe it's coming somewhere from the panel itself
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: I have talk to people at Home Depot and they just tell me that it's it it's the breaker or the heater will even at the heater I'm only reading 10 not 220 or anything that I'm supposed to read
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/7/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You need to take reading at the breaker, the junction and the tank to determine where you loose the voltage.

1) test pole to pole on the breaker

2) test the 2 hot wires at the tank between each other.

3) test connections at the junction box if you have voltage at the breaker and no voltage at the tank.

Let me know the results

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the breaker I have a rating of four at the tank I have a reading 14 and at the junction box I have a reading of 12

What are you using for a tester? Those reading don't make sense

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a little's extra when I turn the breaker on after I completed it when I've done the solar lights in them and then come back on that might be helpful I'm not sure thank you

Well you have me confused. What solar lights? The question asked was about a water tank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Craftsman multmeter set at 500 V and the readings in on my meter just show all 40 14 all 12 and I don't understand that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your help I will try to figure it out myself again thank you

Are you on VAC setting?

As you wish. Good luck.

Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does your home have a grid tied main electrical panel or are you only running off of standalone solar power? Not sure how the solar lights are tied in with an electric hot water heater? Need more details on your application please?

2) Most electric hot water heaters require a 30 amp double pole circuit breaker? Is this the type you have installed in the main electrical panel?

3) Set the meter to the next highest AC voltage setting of 300 volts or greater and re-measure the 2 hot wires at the breaker. What do you measure?

I see that you viewed my questions but have not heard back from you. Guess you no longer need assistance with the question or you have resolved the problem?

I have opted out of the question and will place it back to the open board. No need to reply back to me? You will be notified if another expert picks up the question.

Mike, Master Electrician