Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have installed a legrand softap dimmer. The light blink on

Customer Question
I have installed a legrand...
I have installed a legrand softap dimmer. The light blink on the switch. How do I get them to stop blinking so the light will work?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/6/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Try swapping the line and load wires.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I swapped the lines. The light comes on but it will not turn off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no lights on switch

Defective, replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have two dimmer switches and they are both doing the same thing. Both are bad?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a dimmer switch installed in my bed room as well. When I swapped the wires the fan comes on also with no lights in the switch

Your say that you followed the instruction could only be a reversal, defective switch or possibly the instructions weren't followed. Having 2 switches that don't work leave me to think it not wired properly. Team me how it is connected or if possible send a picture.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't disagree. I am upgrading the switches to legrand. They were wired exactly like the switches I took out. I have swapped the wire from the hot wire to the 1 pole and the 1 pole to the hot. The fan is on and the lights in the bathroom are on. When it was wired like the switches I took out the switch lit up but no power was going to the fan or the light. I have install simple legrand on off switches and they work fine. .

I need to know how you connected it. You need a hot, load and neutral wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a 3 gang. The original wiring has all of the white wires tied together. The only wire in the switches are black.

The top termination is a white wire ( neutral). The bottom left is a hot and the bottom right is to the light.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the switch, the upper left is hot, upper right is white, lower left is 1 pole, lower right is 3 way

That's a 3 way dimmer. Tell me how you connected the wires.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the hot wire (black) in the hot. Another black wire is in the 1 pole. Another black wire is in the 1 pole and goes to the 1 pole on another switch. There are no wires on the right side (top or bottom) of the switch

We're 2 of the wires connected together on the old switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The wire was stripped a around 8 inches from the end, wrapped around the lower left terminal of the old switch and then connected to the lower left terminal on another switch.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cut it and put both wires in the lower left terminal of the legrand

Well that's the hot, the 3rd black is to the light and you need a white.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let me try that. I will get the white

Let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have quit for the night. I can't get it to work

When you get back try this.

1) connect the 2 wires as they were in the other switch.

2) touch the 3rd wire to the two of them to see if the light works and if other outlets are working.

3) if everything does let me know and we can continue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WILL DO

Anytime after 9AM EST.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician