Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am in oregon. I want to put I recessed lighting, but I am

Customer Question

I am in oregon. I want to put I recessed lighting, but I am unsure of the codes. Where can I find the rules so I can pass inspection?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What do you need to know? Please provide specific details?

2) If the can lights will be installed and coming into direct contact with insulation, the can lights need to be IC rated (insulated contact)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

3) The wall switch box either needs to have a neutral wire present or the future means to install a neutral wire. If this is a brand new install, I recommend to install a white neutral wire in the wall switch box.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) In addition, if this is a new circuit installation, your local electrical codes may require that the can lights reside on an AFCI protected circuit.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where can I find the codes that the inspector expects me to follow?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

The National Electrical Code along with any local electrical codes are applicable as follows:

NEC Article 410.116(B) for contact insulation on the can lights.

NEC Aricle 404.2(C) for neutral or future means of neutral in a wall switch box

NEC Article 210.12(A) for Arc Fault Protection

Keep in mind that local electrical codes may also be applicable. I recommend that you contact your local electrical inspector as they can always over ride the NEC with any established local electrical codes. The local inspector always has the final say-so.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)