Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am trying to install an electrical outlet that will

Customer Question

I am trying to install an electrical outlet that will control both the ceiling fan and the light attached. Right now, the switch only turns on both the light and fan. There are separate pull strings on the fan to independently turn the fan on or the light on and off. There are black, white, and copper wires in the electrical outlet itself that are attached to the current switch. My new receptacle has red, black, and green wires. Will this work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I am not understanding your question as to how it pertains to a receptacle or an outlet? Ceiling fans are always wired directly to a ceiling fan rated box and never plugged into a receptacle.

2) Do you want to have 2 separate wall switches that control the fan and the light kit separately?

3) A wall receptacle always requires a white neutral wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you view photos if I upload them?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, uploading them now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK here they are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Thanks for the pics

2) Need more details on the switch, looks like it is a combo switch that can separately control the fan and the light, is that correct?

3) How many wires and wire colors in the ceiling fan box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the problem. I haven't taken the ceiling fan down to check that. All I have is the new switch, which is a combo that can control the light and fan seperately, and the existing switch that is currently connected.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If using a combo switch, the switch box requires 2 separate switched loop wires that originate from the wall switch box. 1 for the fan and the 2nd for the light. The ceiling box also requires a white neutral and a ground wire.

2) If the existing wiring is only a 2 conductor cable plus a ground, you cant' use a combo switch since it requires another switched loop wire. The cable extending from the wall switch to the ceiling box needs to have 1 black, 1 red, 1 white and 1 bare copper ground in order for the combo switch to work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that makes sense to me too. It's a screened in porch. How difficult would it be to have an electrician install the correct wiring?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) All depends upon accessibility to the ceiling fan box. If there is an attic above the fan box, then a common and fairly simple job. If no attic area above the fan box, the the ceiling and/or wall will need to be fished with a 4 conductor cable including the ground wire and this becomes more complicated and more costly. Definately doable though. All depends upon existing conditions.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you just want to independently control the fan and light kit, a remote controlled receiver will be the easiest and most cost effective solution. The existing wall switch and existing cable can remain in place. The wall switch would over ride both the fan and light kit.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)