Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am looking to replace one of my GFCI outlets in the

Customer Question
Hello, I am looking to replace...
I am looking to replace one of my GFCI outlets in the kitchen with a standard outlet that has built-in USB ports. The only things ever plugged into that outlet are a land-line phone and phone/tablet chargers. The GFCI outlet in place has a total of 5 wires connected while the standard only has 3. What do I do with the extra 2 wires?
Thanks,
Chris
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/4/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the receptacle is serving the kitchen countertop, it is required to be GFCI protected.

2) I recommend to leave the GFCI as-is and just purchase a plug-in adapter for the USB ports.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a reason it's required (besides code)? Nothing of substance is ever plugged into it other than the mentioned plug-in adapters.

1) Kitchen countertop receptacles have been required to be GFCI protected since the 1987 NEC code. Therefore, it is a code requirement.

2) Countertop receptacles can always come into contact with water. Thus the reason for the GFCI code requirement.

3) Irregardless if only phones or tablets are plugged into the receptacle, if it is part of the countertop circuits, it is required to be GFCI protected.

4) Home Depot or Lowe's sell a variety of USB adapters that will just plug into the existing GFCI.

See link shown below:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N-5yc1vZc4o9/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-usb%2Boutlet?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor