Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Do you charge? I've got four wires coming into my pull out

Customer Question

do you charge?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I've got four wires coming into my pull out disconnect, but only three wires to the ac condenser. what goes where? Seems like I have an extra wire at the disconnect. Do both the bare copper and the white neutral connect to the same lug at the disconnect?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've wire several homes, not a novice, but not sure on this connection
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) An A/C condensor utilizes 240 volts and not 120 volts. Therefore the white wire is not used. Cap off the white neutral wire at both ends.

2) At the disco switch, only the 2 hot wire circuit phases are connected to the LINE side of the disco. Then at the LOAD side of the disco, the 2 hot wires will feed into the A/C unit.

3) The bare copper wire is the equipment grounding conductor Terminate the bare copper ground wire to either a grounding lug inside the disco or to a green ground screw on the disco metal.

Reply back and let me know how it goes and we can take it from there if needed........Thanks..............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so I just abandon the white neutral in the disconnect? By the way, the wires into the disconnect are coming from a breaker in the main panel. You mentioned cap both ends off. Are you saying I should cap off the white wire at the panel?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) I recommend to cap off the white neutral at both ends with a plastic wire nut. Remove the neutral from the panel neutral bus bar and cap it off there as well. It won't be used. The disco should only contain a black and red hot wires and the bare copper ground wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK easy enough.. Why though, is there four prong plugs for electric clothes dryers where the grd and white are both used?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Because an electric cloths dryer requires 120 volts for the timer and light bulb. The heating element in an electric dryer is 240 volts. Thus an electric dryer requires 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground.

A Central A/C unit does not utilize a neutral, only utilizes 240 volts and 2 hot wires.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

An electric dryer is a combo 120/240 volt circuit. (2 hots and 1 neutral)

A Central Air is only a 240 volt circuit. (2 hots)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Do you teach online courses to prepare for a license?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I am a former college electrical instructor where I taught the National Electrical Code as well as electrical and electronics theory for students in a Construction Management Program. I also hold a Certificate in residential Construction Management.

Unfortunately, I don't teach any more since the college stopped offering the Construction Management program due to the recession back in 2007/2008. No, I don't teach on-line courses. Wish I did though:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) If you are interested in preparing for an electrical license, I recommend to visit Mike Holt's web site. He is one of the leading electrical instructors and authors for numerous electrical and NEC books in the United States. He sells many books to prepare for taking an electrical licensing exam. His books are the best in my opinion, very easy to understand and well written with lots of diagrams.

His link is: http://www.mikeholt.com/

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)