Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I purchased a new utiltech bathrrom light/fan unit and the

Customer Question
wiring diagram is confusing. I...
I purchased a new utiltech bathrrom light/fan unit and the wiring diagram is confusing. I am using 14/3 from switch to unit and the diagram shows one white leaving switch but two white wires going into unit. ??
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: the 14/3 only has one white wire. Do I pigtail them to the fan and light connector?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Not yet. I have gutted my bathroom so I ran new wires. I have line going to switch and 14/3 to unit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/3/2016
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi somewhere along the line the wire probably went to a junction box and the white was swapped out for the red ............you need a tester to find out what wire is hot for your dual switch to operate (one for the fan one for the light) .................just wondering did you run a new wire the same way ............why didn't you hook it up the same if there was a light/fan there before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a separate light and fan unit. I removed old appliances and added a new utilitech light/fan combo unit. I have the line feed going to switch and I know which one is hot. I then ran 14/3 to unit.

so what you did was hook it up the same way on the switch and just ran it to a new locale ...........but does the feed come in at the switch gang box or the ceiling/fan box?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the feed comes into the switch bow anf then I ran 14/3 from the switch to the unit.

okay it is a straight hook up then ...........neutral should be directly from feed to the light ...........black to black from one switch and red to red from the other

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's what I thought. The unit has quick connector for both light and fan and each has white wire. I pigtailed the white wire from the 14/3 and connected to each white on unit. correct?

yes you got it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thanks. I have a new switch and I'll try it again.

you blew out a switch ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I couldn't tell on the existing switch which was common. I changed to new switch and all is fine. Thank you for all your help.

I am glad that worked out for you and you are up and running

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor