How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7526
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an emergency call this morning, a 200 amp 3 phase

Customer Question

I had an emergency call this morning, a 200 amp 3 phase metermain w/ commercial bypass burnt out. The existing meter has the line side coming into the top and the load side going out the bottom, the problem is that the only replacement available has only bottom access. Could i use this meter or do i need one with both top and bottom and not just bottom
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Meters are the property of the utility. Replacements are their responsibility and will be an exact replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Hawaii the contractors provide the meter socket. Utility company will not touch the socket. So what you are saying is that i need a top and bottom feed meter socket?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Your question made me think it was a meter replacement not the socket. You need a socket approved by the utility.