Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am replacing a ceiling fan - no light. There are re,

Customer Question
I am replacing a ceiling...
I am replacing a ceiling fan - no light. There are re, black, and white wires coming down from ceiling. I do not see a green or bare ground. New fan instructions say connect fan black, and blue wires to black from ceiling. What do I do with red? Red is connect to single switch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about 10 minutes most time spent trying to find guidance on internet
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
7/25/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How will the fan be controlled? Using a wall switch or pull chains or remote control?

2) What are the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch? A black and a red wire?

3) Is the fan box metal or PVC type?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Red and black terminated on single wall switch
Metal box
We have always used wall switch to turn off and chain to control speed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No remote control
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Probably chain was on/off but wall switch primary on / off

Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Since you don't have a light kit, there is no blue wire. Therefore, splice the fan harness black wire to the ceiling box red wire. The red wire will be the switched loop wire that extends from the wall switch. The wall switch will over ride the fan pull chains. When the wall switch is in the ON position, you will need to use the 3 speed pull chain to control the fan motor speeds. If the wall switch is turned OFF, then the fan will also turn OFF irregardless of the pull chains.

2) Splice the ceiling white neutral to the fan white neutral.

3) Terminate the fan green ground wire to the metal ceiling box using a green ground screw.

4) Cap off the ceiling black wire with a plastic wire nut as this wire won't be used.

Reply back to me and let me know how you make out and if all is working correctly............Thanks...........Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a blue wire from fan with instructions to tie to black from ceiling with black from fan

1) Your original question stated that you don't have a light. Light kits typically have a blue and a white wire.

2) If you have a light kit, then splice the blue light kit wire to the ceiling red wire and to the fan motor black wire.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fan (Hunter) does not have light but one could be added. Due to ceiling height we will not use a light. Should I still attach red to blue?My credit card company blocked charge for call they thought it was unauthorized charge

Thanks for the replies.

1) Since your application does not include a light kit, place a plastic wire nut on the blue wire as it will not be used but will be present if a future light kit is installed.

2) Splice the ceiling red switched loop wire to the fan motor black wire as instructed in my previous reply.

3) I have nothing to do with credit card charges or blocked charges, as I am only an electrical expert here. If any fraudulent charges appear on your credit card, you will need to contact the Just Answer Customer Service Department and have them resolve the issue.

Fire up the fan and let me know if all is working correctly............Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will rate you when we sign off

Very good..........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kevin, fan successfully installed. Thank you, Paul

Great job on your behalf Paul. You Da Man:)

No problem, glad to assist.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor