Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

What do I need to do to separate 2 lights with a switch?

Customer Question
What do I need to...

What do I need to do to separate 2 lights with a switch? There are currently 2 lights on 1 switch, but I built a wall to make a bedroom so now I would like if both lights had their own switches.

Nelly ******

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
7/25/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Depends on the type of existing switch as to whether it is a single pole or 3-way or 4-way switch. What type of switch do you have in place?

2) Will both switches be located in the same wall box or separate wall boxes?

3) What is the existing wiring scheme? NM Romex cable or other?

4) Do you have access to install wiring from the new wall switch to the furthest existing light?

Since I have not heard back from you on my questions, I assume that you have either resolved the problem or are no longer interested in the question.

Therefore, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open expert board. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified if another expert picks up the question.

Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You have 2 ways of accomplishing the split.

1) rewire the light outlets, which may involve wall and ceiling repairs.

2) go to Amozon.com and get a Skylink MR318 wireless remote switch and receiver. Bypass the existing switch making the line hot to the fixtures. Install a receiver in the fixture canopy. Mount the switches. No external wiring required.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician