Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a with knob & tube in the ,2nd & 3rd floor lights.

Customer Question

I have a triplex with knob & tube in the hall for 1st,2nd & 3rd floor lights. Also outside light.
An electrician claims I have to go motion sensors outside & each floor to those lights or else leave on all the time. I am confused. He wants to run visible pipes all through the hall to each light & sensor. Is it me or is he just not caring about turning my place into a battleship
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I recommend that you hire a different electrician as this one obviously doesn't have a clue and is steering you in the wrong direction.

2) Existing K&T wiring is still allowed and code compliant. There is no requirement and no need to install conduit for this application as long as the wall switch boxes contain a neutral wire. Most occupancy sensors require a neutral connection.

3) Exterior lighting boxes will contain a neutral wire, therefore, a motion sensor lighting fixture can simply be installed and replace any existing light fixture.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)