Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Do u know if it is safe to drop an extension lead behind the

Customer Question
cooker so we can have...
do u know if it is safe to drop an extension lead behind the cooker so we can have pugs the other side of the kitchen?x
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Email is fine- sorry!
7/24/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) It is unsafe and there should never be a need to use any type of extension cord for kitchen appliances. Extension cords are one of the leading causes of an electrical fire.

2) A properly designed kitchen should contain the correct quantity of wall sockets where appliances directly plug into. Instead of using an extension cord, install a permanent wall socket where required.

3) It is also a code violation to fish and/or extend an extension cord thru a wall. Permanent branch circuit conductors along with a wall socket box are required.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This doesn't answer my question. We r not using the extension lead for the cooker- our plugs sockets are by the boiler and so can only use one socket as there is no room to put the plug in as boiler in the way. I want the extension to plug in the spare socket on the wall to the left of the cooker. Drop it down the back of the cooker and then fix the extension sockets to the wall the right of the cooker so I can plug in our energy suppliers screen

1) As I previously stated, extension cords are one of the leading causes of electrical fires in a home.

2) A permanent branch circuit wall socket is recommended in the kitchen area for safety reasons.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified when your question is picked up by another expert.

Electrician: Dr. Fix-It, Electrical Technician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Electrical Technician

Hi my name is Shaw aka Dr.Fix-It , Your online expert ready to assist you... YES should be able to add electrical socket for easy access on the left side of the cooker. If youre talking about re-routing an outlet on the right to the left side using an hardwired cord? If exposed may be good idea to run the cable in a metal or flex conduit instead of just dropping it behind the appliance as can get damaged and as other expert stated can be a serious fire hazard.

See http://cdn1.tmbi.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH06NOV_OUTLET_06.jpg or http://cdn1.tmbi.com/TFH/tips-app/FH14DJA_FISHWR_09.JPG

Since there is a time difference may have some lag with response, so wanted to include this video link which can watch by clicking here to see how outlet is moved from original to another location. I hope that helps give idea how to make a permanent and safe rework of an existing outlet to a new more accessible location. Give it a go and let me know if have any questions or concerns regarding the matter.

Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Electrical Technician