Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have one room in my house where the lights flicker a bit.

Customer Question
I had an electrician replace...
I have one room in my house where the lights flicker a bit. I had an electrician replace the breaker at the breaker box (2 15amp switches) and the problem stopped for a while. It's doing it again.
I went ahead and took all the receptacles and switches out of the wall. Some were old 'stab' types with no screws on the sides which I replaced...the rest I checked the connections and re-tightened where necessary. But the lights are still flickering.
Thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
7/21/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Somewhere in the circuit you have a loose wire. Could be a faulty splice or at a device back-stab connection.

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC multi-meter available?

3) How many lights? Are the lights all ceiling mounted type or any plug-in table lamps?

4) How many wall switches control the lights? Are the wall switches single pole or 3-way types?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No tester. All lights...the bathroom, and all the receptacles flicker when I attach a lamp. Three wall switches, one for a wall receptacle, one for the bathroom light and one for the bath fan (which also exhibits fluctuation when on.)

Thanks for the replies.

1) In order to locate the problem, you will need a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter. Get a tester and we can continue.

2) Perhaps you can borrow a tester from a neighbor or a friend? If not, Home Depot or Lowe's sell multi-meters for around $25 or less.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well...can't get my hands on a tester right now...and it looks like the cost of this web advice will just keep escalating to the tune of @ $20-25.00 a round, which I can't afford. Not sure I got much for my first 21.00, so let's just end it now.
Mike, Master Electrician