Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Partial loss of electrics this am what to do?

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked your fuse panel or circuit breaker panel, to see if something is blown there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really dense with these issues!! What am I looking for on the board? Basically have no power anywhere bar one socket in the hall fridge freezer is also out!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you go to the main electrical board, you should be able to look at all of the circuit protectors (these will be fuses or circuit breakers. Breakers can be reset, and fuses have to be replaced). Until you get it resolved, I would put the fridge/freezer on an extension cord if you can.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

To reset a breaker, you have to switch it all the way to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you are not comfortable troubleshooting this problem, I would bring in a local electrician as soon as possible. If the problem isn't located in the board, it will be a loose connection, which can be very difficult to track down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jason. Have done that and lights a f fridge back on. I have previously 'rented my property and am just moving back in. Had to have some work done fitting new lights etc not happy with the work......Have to go to a wedding this pm.....do you think it will be safe to leave? I will get anotherelectrician to check out everything but can't do this till am off work o Thursday.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It's okay to leave. Glad to hear you got the fridge back on. Enjoy the wedding.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

But I would get the problem looked at by an electrician when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. I think it may be the kettle as I have just tried it and it put everything g out again.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That's very good information. If the loose connection isn't in the box the kettle is connected to, then it's in another box on that circuit. Make sure you point that out to the electrician who comes for the repair, so the time spent tracking the loose wire down can be greatly reduced.