Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a 220V feeding my well pump outside. There are 3

Customer Question
wires, hot, neutral and ground...
I have a 220V feeding my well pump outside. There are 3 wires, hot, neutral and ground. I would like to feed (2) 110V GFCI receptacles at the pool for the sand filter and pump. How do I do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
7/14/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. First thing is if you have a 220V feed, you don't have a neutral. It is 2 hots and a ground using the white wire as a hot. Next, pool equipment needs to be on its own circuit with a GFCI and an insulated ground wire. You need to run a new circuit with the wire size dependant on the length of the run.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I install a sub panel at the well and feed it by the wires I have out there and then install 20amp circuit breakers to feed the pool equipment?

What size circuit do you have there?

What is the load for the well?

What are the number of wires on the existing feeder?

How are is the pool from the proposed panel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure about the well, I will have to check when I get home from work around 7pm, est. I'm located in North Carolina.
The well is fed from circuit breaker in the house.
The existing feeder has 3 wires, black, white and copper (ground) coming from the circuit breaker in the house to the well pump.
Pool is about 20 feet from the well house.
Pool information:
Sand Filter Pump – 3A, 288W, 120V, runs 8 hours a day
Chlorinator – 1.1A, 125W, 120V, runs 4 hours a day

You are short 1 wire and the wire size is insufficiant for installing a sub panel. You need to run a new circuit or feeder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have any more circuits available in the house panel.
How do I add the extra wire?

You don't understand me. The size of the wire to the well was no doubt sized for Tyne well only. It not only being to small it is short 1 wire. Both make it advisable to run a new feeder if you want a sub panel or you can only run a new circuit for the pool. From the way you asked the question, I assume that you don't know the other requirements for a pool wiring. Equipotential bonding and distances for outlets and disconnects. Pool wiring has to be right all the time. Any thing missed will expose you to a shock hazard.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician