Papatrexas
Papatrexas, Electrician
Experience:  I am licensed General & Electrical contractor for more then 35 years with 40 years experience in the construction industry.
76133288

I wired up my workshop with five fluorescent lights ( double

Customer Question

I wired up my workshop with five fluorescent lights ( double 48") on its own 15 amp circuit. All are on one switch. I have had to replace the 15 amp switch twice. I then tried a 20 amp switch and it also quit. The circuit breaker has not ever tripped. What is going on?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is and I will be happy to assist you.

What ells is on that switch?

If nothing ells on it then hard wire the lights and see what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing else on the switch. A new switch will work ok for several days and then quit. Hard wiring works great.
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

In my 40 year career never encounter this

The only other thing comes to mind is you have a streak of bad switches.

You don't need a heavy duty switch

2 bulbs per fixture
40 Watts per bulb
5 fixtures total
supplied voltage is 120
A=(40 X 2 X 5)/120 = 3.3A

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

I am assuming you have one switch here

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

One more thing did the switch melted or stop working?

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

I will be on the road for the next 2 hours if you have more questions I will try to converse with my smart phone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have reached the same conclusion that I did. I am no an electrician but I have wired an entire new house and many other such projects over my lifetime. I have never encountered this either. That is why I am here.
The first two switches that I installed were spare switches I had on hand, might have been used before. They worked ok for a week or so and then quit. The last one I just bought, a 20 amp switch. It lasted maybe two days, then quit. I took the switch apart to inspect the contacts. They were not burned. They actually looked pretty good, a small film on the contacts and responded to a continuity check. Can problem be caused by a bad connection and yet not trip the breaker?
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Let me ask more questions because I am not there to look at the wiring and the fact that nothing so far is pointing to anything to me.

Was the wires inserted on the back of the switch'

Was the wires looped around the screws on the side and was any indication of arcing.

Is a number of hot wires tied together with a wire nut in the switch box make sure their not loose.

Is a number of white wires tied together with a wire nut if it is make sure their not loose.

I am tuning out of options here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has to be a loose connection in one of the junction boxes. I don't see how that could cause s switch to burn out but there is nothing else to check. I will check all black/black, white /white, connections. You can close out this out.
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

I must a helped some with out been there so please

The only way I get compensated is if to rate me using the stars at the top of the page and thank you.

Have a good day.