Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have an electrical box on the outside wall near my AC

Customer Question

I have an electrical box on the outside wall near my AC unit.The box is small,about a 6" x 6" and it has a double breaker that you can reset from the outside of the box. If you turn off the breaker the aircon unit goes off and it also supplies power to an outside 12'x12' workshop,the workshop has a breaker box. The problem is the box and the breakers by the ac unit is getting very,very hot.My ac man measured 135 degrees hot on the outside of the box. A few times a day the AC unit starts blowing out hot air and I have to go outside and flip the breakers off and then on and then the fan on the AC unit will start to work normal.Do I even need the breakers by the AC unit or can I make a direct connection?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  mrromex replied 1 year ago.

hi this is John and would be glad to help........you can't eliminate the a/c box because there must be a form of disconnect within a certain distance of the a/c unit for maintenance.....the tec should be able to disconnect power at unit without going into the building. now the serious part of your question is it also powers an outdoor workshop.......how many breakers are in this enclosure and what size breakers . also it is feeding another sub panel in the workshop and .........

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is feeding another sub panel in the workshop.So why is it overheating the breaker box?
Expert:  mrromex replied 1 year ago.

1. what is the amp rating or what size breaker is in the a/c box

2. what are the size breakers in the workshop and what equipment is in there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
60 amp breaker at the AC unit.In the workshop I have 4, 15 amp breakers in the box.I have a small 110 ac unit and a TV.
Expert:  mrromex replied 1 year ago.

when the a/c first starts up it will draw way more than the 60 amps need for split second....if the breaker is tripping when you are using the workshop then it is because of an overload. also, the a/c box is probably wired with a 3 wire and the sub panel in the workshop is using the ground wire as the neutral which is not code......but to answer your question it is an overload problem and the feed going to the workshop should be re fed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does that mean "the feed going to the workshop should be re fed" ?
Expert:  mrromex replied 1 year ago.

what size wire is going from the a/c box to the workshop......how many conductors.....the a/c unit does not require a neutral to operate but has a ground, if that is the case then there is no neutral at the workshop and is using the ground as a neutral which is not code........if they ran a neutral to the a/c box then I am wrong. the workshop should be re fed no matter what because it is causing an overload situation meaning you having to constantly turn the breaker back on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input and your time.
Expert:  mrromex replied 1 year ago.

no problem, I hope you get it worked out.......don't forget to accept my answer and take the time to rate your experience with this site......have a great evening....John

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I accept your answer?
Expert:  mrromex replied 1 year ago.

I could be wrong, I'm not familiar with that side of the site but I thought there was an accept button or agree button as well as a rating procedure,