How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7653
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have wired several whole houses but not a licensed

Customer Question

I have wired several whole houses but not a licensed electrician. Thought of doing something different, but want validation from one.
From my Main 200 Amp Entrance Box in the House, I have a 50 Amp Box Subpanel in my Well House. There was a #12 wire out to where we put the well in (about 50 feet) from the house. The Well company told me that a #12 wire would work just fine for the well house and to use a 30 Amp breaker to the Sub Panel on it.
I did and it has worked fine.
I had the opportunity to run a new #10 wire to the well house today but I have not hooked it to the subpanel yet.
My question is this: Can I leave the #12 from the main panel to the sub panel and replace the breaker with a 20Amp AND hook up the #10 wire as the feed wire to the subpanel and create up to 50 Amps by using both wires? One would be the subpanel feed and the other simply a breaker to the box?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. To be code compliant and have a safe installation you need the following.

1) 50A feed needs a #6 wire minimum. A 4 conductor URD would be suggested. 2 hits, 1 neutral & 1 ground.

2) at the sub panel a driven ground rod with a #6 copper ground wire.

3) a 20A circuit can be ran to the pump on a GFCI breaker.