Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My aerator circuit is not working. The motor works fine on

Customer Question
another circuit. My generic outlet...
My aerator circuit is not working. The motor works fine on another circuit. My generic outlet tester says "open ground" when I check everything with my VOM I get continuity between ground and neutral 110v between hot and neutral, and 110v between hot and ground. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What is the N to G voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2

OK, that is a normal voltage then from N to G.

Have you plugged another load into the receptacle, does it work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just tried a drill an it doesn't work.

Check the meter in another known working receptacle. Possibly a low or dead battery on the meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My VOM

Does the circuit have other receptacles or lighting on it? Do those work?

Yes, your VOM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh yes. It's fine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It's dedicated to the aerator motor

OK, check the voltage directly at the breaker.

How many amps is the breaker and is the voltage 120v?

What is the motor FLA rating?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Stand by

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
124v at the breaker

That is good then

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
20 amp breaker

Try "rolling" the circuit hot wire over to another known working 20 amp single pole breaker.

Does the circuit contain a GFCI?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Could take a little time

No problem, just reply back to me and we can continue. Take your time............thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Switched breaker and still nothing. This thing is beating me up

Does the breaker ever trip? What is the motor FLA rating?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No breaker doesn't trip. Not sure of the motor but it works fine when I run an extension cord from another circuit

Hmmm.... am running out of ideas here.

Get a 3 prong extension cord and plug it into another know working receptacle and then take measurements and compare the hot and neutral using the female end of the extension cord to the motor receptacle.

See diagram shown below:

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I just don't get why my outlet tester says open ground and the ground and neutral show continuity. Totally baffling

How old is the home? Are you sure the circuit is grounded or possibly a bootleg ground exists at the receptacle?

At the female cord HOT, measure from there to the receptacle neutral. Should measure approx 120

At the female cord neutral, measure from there to the receptacle hot, should measure approx 120

At the female cord ground, measure from there to the receptacle neutral, should measure 0 volts or close to it

At the female cord neutral, measure from there to the ground at the receptacle, should also measure 0 volts or close to it.

Outlet testers have been known to result in false readings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My other outlets are reading 122. Yes all those readings I gave you in my initial statement. 110v neutral to hot, 110v hot to ground and .2 grnd to neutral. House was built in 68
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put a new female end on the plug. I figure the male is fine since it works on other circuits.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the neutral and ground are bonded at the breaker box, and I have continuity then doesn't that mean it's grounded?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Kevin. I truly appreciate your help. I found the problem and am feeling very stupid. There is a timer box on the other side of my basement that I wasn't aware of. It had kicked off. Hit the reset and all seems to be working well. Geeeeze.

Yes, N to G bonded at the panel means that it is grounded.

OK, glad that is was just the timer that was causing the problem. Sounds like you are back in business? Good job.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor