Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have an appliance that is rated at 15a/ 120v requires

Customer Question
1800w continuous power: manufacturers specifications. The...
I have an appliance that is rated at 15a/ 120v requires 1800w continuous power: manufacturers specifications.
The appliance generates heat to apply ink to fabric.
on a dedicated 120v line @ 15a the machine's temperature varies within a 20 degree window from 380 f to 400f. Above 390 it performs well. Under that it does not.
I purchased a 15a power conditioner in an attempt to even out power and avoid the problem. Ran it today and noticed it's pulling over 15a (close to 20) when it's calling for heat and very low voltage. Then when it reaches the temp called for it pulls very low amps and 120v.
I know the soltution is to put it on a 20a line right?
The problem is that I use it as a mobile solution for my business and there's not always 20a service.
Get a generator...
I cannot because clients will not want the noise pollution and shipping with gas or fossil fuels is a no no.
Any solutions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
6/17/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) An 1800W continuous appliance load requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit. A 20 amp circuit loaded @ 80% maximum capacity = 1920 watts. A 15 amp circuit loaded @ 80% maximum capacity = 1440 watts. Therefore a dedicated 20 amp circuit is required.

2) Solution is to either obtain an appliance that requires less amps or obtain a portable generator. Even if you locate a 20 amp circuit, it may not be dedicated to the appliance and it can be shared with other connected loads.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor