Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I'm wiring a light controlled by a single pole switch, and

Customer Question
the light has constant power...
I'm wiring a light controlled by a single pole switch, and the light has constant power so when I wire the light, the light automatically turns on and the switch does nothing, so how would I wire the light or what would I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
6/16/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Please tell me the number and colors of the wires in the ceiling box and colors connected to the fixture. Also I need to know the wire colors on the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's a splice with three black in the fixture and three white, it's old wiring and on the switch is one wire coming in and there's a pigtail for each terminal

:Are you saying that there are 3 terminations on the switch and that all wires in the ceiling are connected by color with none free for connection to the fixture? Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

A picture of both boxes would help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The switch is a single pole so that means 2 terminations and yeah the wires are connected correctly but there is constant power

Can't be correct if the wires in the ceiling are all connected black to black....white to white. There has to be one wire switched. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do

Disconnect the black wires at the ceiling, find which one is a hot, one at a time connect a black to it and test at the switch to identify the wire from the ceiling. The white wire paired with that black should be connected to the hot with all the other blacks. The identified black and the white wires connection is where to connect the fixture.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ohhh, okay so the white of the live wire is what I splice with the other blacks, then the other two whites will be a seperate splice?

No, the white to the switch with the blacks. Black to switch tofixture. Remaining whites to fixture.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay sounds good, now how would I identify the white from the switch

It'paired with theblack you identified. When connected to the hot it will have voltage at the switch.

Anytime you see a white connected to a black it is going to a switch. That's the norm.____

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I'll give it a go and let you know, thanks a lot for your time

Very good, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician