Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Just came home after a heavy storm yesterday and the power

Customer Question
Hi there. Just came home...
Hi there. Just came home after a heavy storm yesterday and the power is out to some of my home but not all of it. A few powerpoints are on but not others or the lights. The safety switch had not been tripped. Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
6/5/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter to take a few voltage measurements?

2) Does the home contain any 240 volt appliances such as a Central Air or an electric range or an electric dryer? If so, do these appliances all work correctly?

3) For those areas of the home that don't have power, are the circuit breakers AFCI or GFCI types with a test button? Or do those areas contain GFCI wall receptacles which may have tripped? Have you double checked all GFCI wall receptacles in the home to confirm if they are all working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a volt meter no. The air con is still on, the oven is on its own 15amp circuit and it's on too. The setup is very simple, a lot of extension leads going around the place so I'm not sure exactly what is on which circuit, but as far as I know there's only 3 or 4 circuits in this place. Attached is picture of what's in the box.

Thanks for the replies and pic.

1) Do the areas without power contain any RCD wall receptacles which may have tripped?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No they are just standard powerpoints

OK, thank you for the replies.

1) I suspect the problem is a loose wire termination or a faulty wire splice. In order to confirm things, you will need either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter and take a few voltage measurements at some power points to confirm if a loose hot wire or a loose neutral wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. so to replace that I'll need an electrician?

Yes, I recommend to contact a local licensed electrician to troubleshoot and correct the problem. Unfortunately, problems such as this are not always just a quick 5 minute fix. Locating a loose wire termination or a faulty splice can often take a few hours, depending upon how the circuit was originally wired.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Kevin. I'll keep the thread open till I can get someone out

No problem, that is fine.

In the meantime, take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor