Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I spoke to you last week from New Jersey and was able to

Customer Question

Hi, Mike,
I spoke to you last week from New Jersey and was able to resolve the switches that I inadvertently connected.
My other questions
1. I replaced several outlets with new 3 prong outlets. The outlets were also 3 prong, but when I opened them up, there wasn't any grounding wire. I read that they should have been grounded. Should I add the grounding wire into the boxes, they are metal?
2. I replaced another outlet and box with a plastic old work box. Do I have to ground this, or should I just put a GFCI with a no grounding tag.Thank you,
Dawn Korbelak
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Test the metal box for a ground with a 2 wire tester. If it is grounded attach a wire to the box and device. The plastic box and the metal box without a ground will need GFCI protection. Either a breaker or a lead GFCI will protect all outlets. Do mark the outlets without grounds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. How do I test for a ground with the 2 wire tester?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Put one probe on the hot wire and the other to the box. If you get a 120V reading the box is grounded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.