ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

We do not have any water and was hoping you could help me

Customer Question

We do not have any water and was hoping you could help me trouble shoot. We have a well and a pump that leads to a pump control box. Are you familiar with this system?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to www.justanswer.com
Yes, I am familiar with it.
It consists of a pressure switch that supplies power to the control box. In the box, depending on which type you have, you will find a relay and and a capacitor or two...or an electronic control. What does yourshe look like?
Do you have a multimeter? One that includes the option to test capacitors is best.Let me know and we can continue, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter but not one that tests capacitors. The box is a Franklin electric, 1/3 HP, 230 volts
I looked the capacitor and it does not look like it was blown.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

On most controls, there is also a reset button (usually covered for moisture resistance located on the bottom of the control.

Thanks, ***** ***** tell if the capacitor is defective by looks.

Check the reset button to see if that has any effect.

Can you post a picture of the control relay? There is usually a diagram on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked the capacitor and it does not look like it was blown. There is no reset button. Sometimes you can tell if the capacitor has been blown by the yellow dot at one end. If blown it should bulge.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

That is correct about the capacitor if defective but not a comprehensive test.

Determining what is defective may be a moot point unless you have a motor shop or other outlet for the parts. Lowes/Home Depot normally do not carry these repair parts. If you have an old style hardware store in your vicinity, they might have parts. Otherwise your only other option is to replace the control box.

If you can remove the relay, it has a coil and a set of contacts. Each should be good, when testing with a multimeter on the ohms scale. If you do not get a reading on one, the relay is defective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the resistance on yellow to black which was about 28 and red to black which was around 8. DOes that tell you anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also check the voltage on L1 to ground which was very low. But L2 to ground was about 120 V.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I know I cant find the parts today but was just wondering if there was anyway I could definitively say if the problem was the control box, the pressure switch, or the pump.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Did you disconnect the wiring form the relay to test it? If so yes, the relay appears to be good and we are back to the possibility of a defective capacitor. If the wiring was not removed form the relay, not remove wiring after taking a picture so it can be properly reattached, then retest with ohmmeter.

You should test voltage across the lines, not line to ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what the relay is. Measure voltage across the lines, meaning I should measure from L1 to L2?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

The relay should look like a black cube approximately 2" x 2". Yes voltage across Line 1 & Line 2, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relay is something inside the control box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The voltage across L1 and L2 was 122 V
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't the voltage be 230 V?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the relay is inside the control. Yes, you have a voltage problem, should be 230V

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the voltage problem tell you where the faulty equipment is?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

No, the problem could be at the source breaker or anywhere in between it and the pressure switch. If there are junction boxes/splices, these would be suspect. If the line is buried underground it would be difficult to find and repair...may be better to bury a new supply.