Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I'm replacing an existing 400amp service. We are doing away

Customer Question

I'm replacing an existing 400amp service. We are doing away with existing overhead wire from Ameren pole to the old service and putting underground wire running down the pole underground to the meter head... My question is , who is responsible for the materials (wire , pipe etc) from pole to meter??
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: It is ameran and in Illinois
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I also reside in Illinois. The electrical utility provide is responsible for the correct service wires and wire size that originate from the utility transformer to your exterior electrical meter socket. This is called the LINE side connection at the meter. If the service is underground, then underground rated cable will be installed.

2) You or your electrician, are responsible for the wire sizes from the meter LOAD side connection to the main service disconnect........ ie.......service entrance wires.

3) The line of demarcation ends at the exterior meter socket LINE & LOAD side terminations. The electrical utility is responsible for bringing service to the meter LINE side and you are responsible for extending the service from the meter LOAD side to your main electrical panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to be clear , the cost on the line side is covered by ameran?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

It should be, you need to confirm with Ameren.

ComEd here in the Chicago area covers those costs as their own up to the exterior meter. Same thing with the local telephone company or local cable TV provider. All utilities have a line of demarcation to the point of presence.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)