Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Am transitioning a dedicated circuit outdoor pool. Using

Customer Question
Am transitioning a dedicated circuit...
Am transitioning a dedicated circuit for an outdoor pool. Using 20A dedicated ground fault breaker. Can direct burial wire be used partially above ground without conduit? Transition will bi made in a dry location.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: Dedicated ground fault circuit for above ground pool.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/17/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) No, UF cable ( Underground Feeder cable) must be buried a minimum of 24" below final grade. It is a code violation to have UF cable above grade and laying on the grade and not secured to a structure. 2) If transitioning from conduit to UF cable and the transition is outdoors, an underground accessible hand-hole weatherproof box must be used to contain the splices. The box must be accessible to the wire splices. 3) Can't use EMT conduit underground. Must either be Rigid Metal Conduit or gray electrical PVC conduit or Intermediate metal conduit. PVC Sch. 40 gray electrical conduit is most often used for underground burial. If using PVC conduit, must be buried a minimum of 18" below final grade.
Mike, Master Electrician