Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.
92448011

I am replacing an existing light switch to the model TM -097

Customer Question

I am replacing an existing light switch to the model TM -097 S timer. The old switch had two black wires and the ground wire. There was no neutral wire. I have a voltage tester. I identified the hot wire. I connect the hot wire to the L-I terminal. I connected the other black wire to the L- O terminal. The ground is attached to the proper terminal. When I power it up, turn on the light using manual the light does not turn on. I tested the L-I and it is hot. The L-O is not. However the neutral is hot. Can you give me opinion of what you think is happening?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.
Hello good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions. Inside the switch box is there only the 1 switch? Where are you measuring voltage on the neutral?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch is in a three gang box. One switch operates the light in the garage. The second switch operates a three way switch which turns on the interior hall light. The third switch is for the exterior light for which I am trying to install the timer. I am measuring the voltage on the timer neutral terminal.
So from terminals L-I to neutral you read 120 volt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. When I turn the unit to on, voltage is registering on the neutral. No voltage on the L-I terminal
What kind of voltage tester do you have? a 2 wire? or non contact
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I connected the black white to the light fixture to the neutral terminal, no voltage registered. When I then tested the L-O terminal it was hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two wire south wire 4way voltage tester
Ok cool. So you have identified which 2 wire cable runs to the lights correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are only two wires, the hot and the line to the light. The ground is the remaining wire.
Oh ok, so the old switch had 2 wires connected to it. A white and a black?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only two black
Ok, and you know which of those black wires is the hot, and which is the switch leg to the lights ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
OK, and are there a few neutral wires connected together in the box, that you took a pigtail from to the new switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. There are several neutral wires connected using a wire connected cap
OK, and when you put your voltage tester across L-I and N on the switch you show voltage ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes when I turn on the seitch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switch
You should have voltage between L-I and N before the switch it turned on because that wire should be hot at all times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Understand
And L-O to N should only show voltage once the switch is on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The L-O showed voltage when the non hot black wire was disconnected. When I connected that wire to the L-O terminal it went dead. This is what is creating the problem for me. I may just put the old switch back in place and call my electrician to solve this and connect the timer.
Where the lights working fine before? What kind of lights are they
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They worked. They are outside lights above the garage door. Two light candlelabra
Oh ok, no issues there then. So right now, you have a white to N and the hot black to L-I and nothing connected to L-O and the one loose black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no white wire at all. There is the hot black and the black to the light.
So you have the hot black to L-I and the black to the light to L-O ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Nothing connected to the neutral terminal
Ok, you need to take a white wire from N on the switch and connect it will the bundle of whites inside the box. This switch needs a neutral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I connect the additional wire the bundle of white wires this should dove the issue?
Yes, take a white wire from N on the switch and connect it under the wire nut with the rest of the bundle. That should solve your problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I shall do this. If I have any additional problems I'll contact you again. Thanks for your help
OK great. Yes just let me know if you have any other issues. But you should be good to go. You're welcome.