Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have four Emerson Sw 101 wall switches and they all need

Customer Question
to be replaced. They don't...
I have four Emerson Sw 101 wall switches and they all need to be replaced. They don't seem to be available anywhere. Can I upgrade to a newer model? If so which one?
Thx
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
5/13/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) What is the application that the switch is being used for? To control a ceiling fan or a ceiling light?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BothThe fan has a light included
Thanks for the confirmation. 1) If the existing fan controller switch has 3 wires connected to it, there are a variety of replacement switches available. 2) See link shown below for a replacement switch available at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Skylark-1-5-Amp-Single-Pole-3-Speed-Combination-Fan-and-Light-Control-White-S2-LFSQH-WH/100059262
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
I believe it has one wire?
1) If the switch controls both the ceiling fan motor speeds and the light kit, it will contain 3 separate wires excluding the ground wire. 1 wire for the hot circuit feed. 2nd wire for the fan motor switched loop and 3rd wire for the light kit switched loop. In the electrical industry, this is commonly called a fan controller switch. 2) There is no such type of switch that only contains 1 wire. A switch must contain at least 2 wires (excluding the ground wire). If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry Kevin. I've been traveling and will be back this evening. Let me look at the switch plate when I get home
Thx
Very good.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor