Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I've got an outlet showing "open ground". Upon inspection,

Customer Question
Hi: I've got an...
Hi: I've got an outlet showing "open ground". Upon inspection, there are three sets of wiring going into outlet box. All of the grounds are connected and I grounded the ground wire with the faucet with and mult-meter and got continuity. However all of the white wires are inserted on the left side and all of the black are inserted on the right. Isn't this backwards? Shouldn't the black be on the right side (brass connectors?) Also I'm showing 124 volts on all of the whites and not the blacks. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
5/9/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. First thing is you shouldn't have wires terminated in the push back terminations, they always fail. All terminations should be under screws. If there are more wires than terminations, a wirenut with a pigtail should be made. Only one wire to a screw. Having an open is common with push back terminations. Black wires should terminate on the gold screws and white wires under silver screws.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Two of the three on each side are in push back terminals. I'll get a new outlet and get the all on screws. Should I be getting 120 volts on the white wires? Or were these wire wrong?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sp I meant wired wrong.
Voltage neutral to ground indicates that there is a bad connection on the white wires ahead of where you are testing. The cause could be in the first dead outlet or the live one ahead of it. Plug in a lamp or a vacuum cleaner on one of the bad outlets. Now go around and with a plug wiggle outlets sideto side. Most times an open connection will make and your alert will let you know. Easier than opening every box.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician