Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Bought a brand new infared heater to replace old one, and it

Customer Question
kept kicking off. so I...
bought a brand new infared heater to replace old one, and it kept kicking off. so I took it back to the store, and they tested it here. It ran just fine in the store. Clerk suggested it might be the wiring. I am in southern Lancaster Pa., and there are a lot of 19th C homes around here.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: the electric company is threatening a home audit because my place uses so much elec. The place is a tiny 800 sft cottage and I'm not even heating the whole house. when the furnace d ied I switched to infared space heaters trying to be energy efficient . I'M GREEN but my house keeps betraying me. please help!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
5/5/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) I need more details as to the problem? Is the heater tripping a circuit breaker or blowing a fuse? 2) How many amps is the fuse or circuit breaker that controls the wall receptacle that the heater is plugged into? 3) Are there any other shared loads on the circuit when the heater was plugged into a receptacle? 4) How many watts is the heater? Is the heater 120 or 240 volts? 5) Have you tried plugging the heater into a different circuit?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had it connected to a surge protector and it tripped that thing. It was a 30 amp circuit. And the heater I used b4 worked just fine. I'm trying to remember, this was a few months ago--I think it was on the same as the refer in the kitchen. watts were 6 or 8hundred. same as old heater. dunno about volts -- no longer have the heater -- took it back to the store and they tried it there and it worked just fine. MY MAIN QUESTION IS -- do wires wear out ? the house is old and there is a transformer right in front of my house and in the summer every other time we get a storm the transformer blows. I am at the library and they are getting ready to close
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what phone number do I call?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you answer my Q b4 the library closes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
waiting...
Thanks for the replies. 1) Wires do not wear out. Wire insulation can become frayed or burnt but the individual wires do not wear out unless arcing and/or melting on the circuit took place. Sounds like the circuit was most likely overloaded, especially if shared on a kitchen counter top circuit. Portable space heaters are always recommended to reside on their own dedicated circuit, preferably a 20 amp circuit due to the wattage. Heaters should not be shared with any other loads in the home.....ie........ a good reason for a circuit breaker to overload and trip. 2) A 30 amp circuit is a code violation for receptacles within the home and this also presents a potential safety issue due to over fusing the circuit wires. Wall receptacles are either protected by 15 or 20 amp circuit breakers or fuses if they are 120 volt receptacles. 3) If a transformer issue, I recommend to contact the local electrical utility. They own the transformer and they are responsible to deliver the correct voltage and service to the home.
1) How many amps is the main service to the home? 60 amps or 100 amps?
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...................Kevin:)
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor