Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I need the best solution a 20apm 120v socket to

Customer Question
I need the best solution...
I need the best solution for wiring a 20apm 120v socket to an RV 50 amp 120 plug. I know the 50 amp has two 120 lines so I am not sure what to do.
I realize this is less than ideal and am only going to put a minimal load on the RV.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
5/4/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Is the outlet for only one location or is it intended to be for RV sites only providing a 50A outlet?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is just for one location to get by until an electrician can wire up a proper 50apm plug.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a residence.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 20apm outlet is on a dedicated breaker with no other loads, and the proper gauge wire. It was installed for a hot tub.
The installation will involve the same labor for the temp set up, so I suggest installing that required for the 50A. Your last message changes the approach. How far away is the tub from the RV? Is there an outlet at the tub or not?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes there is a 20amp outlet. The hot tub is gone so no shared load. I am good with soldering and basic electrical work and understand the risks, this is a bit of an emergency as a family member was evicted from their home and needs a place to live.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The RV is roughly 50' from the 20apm outlet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am capable of making the cable if I get the advise on the pinout.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And I will get the largest gague wire possible to account for the distance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's just to run the fridge and fans.
You'll need a #10 wire extension cord is all for a temp connection to a GFCI receptacle. A #12 may be used if it is only for a few lights and receptacles.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But what about the connection RV side?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And yes the 20amp is GFCI
At the RV a made up cord set having a 50A female cord cap and a 20A plug on a 3 wire cord, leaving one hot on the 50A plug not wired. This will energize half of the RV. If the outlets required don't energize, move the hot wire on the 50A female cord cap to the previously termination not wired.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gotcha, thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10/3 100' extension cord should work, yes?
That would work just fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks again
One more thought on the installation. If you ran a 6/3 UF cable from the panel to the RV, put it on a 50A breaker it would serve as a temp and could be used in the permanent installation, thus saving the expense for a 120V temp.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician