Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Garage door opener model # ***** The opener just clicks

Customer Question
Garage door opener model #...
Garage door opener model # *****
The opener just clicks for about 30 sec., but the door does not open or close. The photo sensor input terminals are labeled 24 V (don’t know if this is AC or DC). When I put my hand in front of the photo sensor, one sensor turns the LED on/off. The other one stays on all the time.
With the photo sensors connected the input voltage measures 5 VDC (no AC). With the sensors disconnected the voltage measures 6.1 VDC. The incoming power to the actuator is 121 VAC. Got any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
4/28/2016
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. My goal today will be to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.If I may ask: 1-) The make SEARS and model and/or number 139 539 10D of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it? 2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner 3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? 4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes 5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button 6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage 7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondenceIf by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns. Please allow me a few minutes to prepare some information for you.And thank you for your help and assistanceeddie
Mike, Master Electrician