Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I'm trying to install a Hampton Bay comfort Breeze remote control

Customer Question

I'm trying to install a Hampton Bay comfort Breeze remote control unit model #68131 with Hampton bay Glendale ceiling fan on 3 way switches. The power is to one switch, then to fan then to other switch. I have two wire to main switch and 3 wire for rest. Don't want to mis wire and am looking for help.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) If you know which of the 3-ways has the hot circuit feed and which 3-way is the switched loop, the remote receiver will connect to the switched loop conductor. 2) To confirm which 3-way is the hot circuit feed and which 3-way is the switched loop, either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter is required. The black screw terminal on the 3-ways will either be the hot circuit feed or the switched loop wire that extends to the ceiling box.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm almost wiring illiterate.. What is a switched loop conductor?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) The switched loop is the wire that extends from the wall switch out to the load. In this case, the load is the fan. One a 3-way switching circuit, one 3-way is for the hot circuit feed and the 2nd 3-way is for the switched loop. The switched loop wire will terminate to a black screw at one of the 3-ways. The 2 wires at both 3-ways on the brass screws are the traveler wires. 2) Refer to the diagram shown below for an example of a 3-way switching application:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that change if load (fan) is in the middle of the switches?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Yes, it is possible, but the wiring becomes more complicated, especially if the 3-ways were installed prior to the middle 1960's. There are 3 different methods to wire a 3-way switch. Modern day wiring methods are identical to the diagram I sent. If the 3-way switching circuit was installed prior to the 1960's, the 3-ways can be wired as either "Carter or California" switching which is more complicated. Carter and California 3-way switching was commonly wired back in the day. However, these methods are not used anymore due to the complications involved and are no longer NEC compliant on new installations. See link shown below for additional information:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching Therefore, it all depends upon the existing wiring configuration you have in place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about a year old so it's new.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, that is good then. Thanks for confirming. Then one of the 3-ways will be the switched loop and the other 3-way will be for the hot circuit feed. The fan (load) needs to connect to the switched loop 3-way.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...........Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry was gone for a few days. Tried it this morning and the switch that has power works and the other does nothing.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) In order to determine the problem, you will need a multi-meter and I will need to know the wiring configuration on the switches as there are a few different wiring methods used on 3-way switches.