Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have no exhaust fan in my laundry and wish to put one in

Customer Question
I have no exhaust...
I have no exhaust fan in my laundry and wish to put one in how do I wire it up to the light
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: ok just need to know were to break in to the wireing the fan has two wires
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: I want to wire it to the light so when I turn the light on the fan comes on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
4/25/2016
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi jason
You would just need to run a set of wires (black, white, and ground) from the existing light fixture to the new fan. At the light, add the new wires to the wires that are already connected to the existing light fixture.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fan only has a 2 pin plug no earth
Thank you for the additional information. I had not noticed that your question was from Australia. But the only thing that really changes is that you don't need a ground (earth) wire from existing light to new fan, since the fan has no place to connect it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok but my problem is that the light 4 set s of cablels in it with go to the kitchen ect dxoes it matter with one I use
Can you post photos of the wiring you see? I need to get ready for work, but I'll check back in here in about 15 minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
new 2 this site not sure how to post pics
You can click the paper clip icon on the tool bar to browse to where they are stored on your computer and post them here.
I have to leave for work now, but I'll check on you when I return this evening. Thank you!
Hello again. Were you able to try to post pictures?
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician