Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Gfci shutdown

Customer Question
gfci shutdown
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
4/18/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You say it goes dead and then restores after a period of time, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no we reset it and 5 days or so later it trips out again, and without anything used on that circut, note this is a new gfci, also this is happening on two differt 29amp circut with new gfci
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
20 amp(typo)
OK, being more than one circuit it is most likely a connection problem at the panel. I suggest inspecting terminations there to start. Let me know what you find.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i can do that tomprrow night, this is in my sons mobile home, i replaced all outlets and switches and put in boxs, their were no gfci in the place, so i located them in the kit and bath by water and outside. this is the two circuts. been chacing this problwm for awhile now, when they triped i would check for loose conection and even replaced two new ones with two more new ones, still many days pass befor they trip again and my son has not used these circut because were just tring to see what will happen. called in a local electric guy yesterday and ne did not fine anything, said he had no voltage drop and usually he might see some. he thought maybe try another brand of gfci. these are smart electronics units-self testing-whats your thoughts on this or the self testing ones, looks like thats all we can buy arround here
Make a circuit map. Sketch out the floor plan and Mark the outlets R for receptacles and L for lights. Flip breakers and Mark each with the breaker number. This will give you a complete picture of the circuits. You can now check proceeding outlets when a failure occurres. Doing so may show where any problem is. Let me know how it goes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done all of that and could not solve the problem so i call in a local electrican, he could not tell me whats wrong either, what your input on self testing gfci-any issues?
Self testing....they either have an LED to show power or one to show tripped. That should be all that is needed. Self testing won't tell you what is happening ahead of the outlet any more than that LED's will do. Do a map to be able to test proceeding outlets.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
alright lets try this a different way. this is path on one of the 20amp circut with gfci trip problems,This is a kit sink counter area. Panel to outlet, to gfci, to gfci(on the line side I ran to a toggle that goes to a outlet for the garbage disposal unit), to outet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
note: all new outlets, switches and gfci at the proper 20amp units
If it trips, there is a fault ahead of it. If it just looses power the problem is ahead of it. When utilizing anything on the circuit that trips it you need to check that item. Installing separate GFCI's on each outlet not dependant on one ahead of it will make it I dependant and it will only trip when a faulty item is plugged into it.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician