Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

What code allows you to install GFCI breakers to provide ground

Customer Question

What code allows you to install GFCI breakers to provide ground short protection for outlets on two wire ungrounded circuits?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) National Electrical Code (NEC) Article 406.4(D)(2) Non-Grounding Type Receptacles allows the use of 3 prong receptacles and GFCI protection on branch circuits that do not contain an equipment grounding conductor. This allows 2 prong (un-grounded receptacles) to be replaced with 3 prong receptacles. The GFCI only provides protection against a potential shock hazard. Adding a GFCI will not provide a ground on a 2 wire circuit since an equipment grounding conductor does not exist. 2) The NEC allows either GFCI circuit breakers or GFCI devices to provide this form of protection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
No problem, glad to assist. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.