How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 1425
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you use individual 8" grounding pigtails to ground within

Customer Question

Can you use individual 8" grounding pigtails to ground within the metal box 3 prong outlets,. We have Circuit Breaker that will be replacing 2 prong outlets, all of which have 4 wires, 2 on either ide of the outlet. We have a Circuit Breaker Panel with mostly 3 prong recepticles, outside, basement, garage kitchen, bathrooms and family room. The living, dining and 3 bedrooms still have the 2 prong recepticles which I want to update from 2 to 3 prong.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Electrician before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) In order to swap out the existing 2 prong receptacles, the main electrical panel must be grounded to a grounding electrode and the individual branch circuits must contain an equipment grounding conductor such as EMT metal conduit or a cable assembly that contains either a bare copper ground or a green insulated ground wire. If none of these exist, then GFCI protection is required to replace the 2 prong with a 3 prong version. 2) If none of the above exists, then code allows the installation of either a GFCI circuit breaker or a GFCI receptacle to provide for GFCI protection and then you can replace the 2 prong receptacles with 3 prong receptacles. If no ground exists, the GFCI will not provide a ground and will only protect against potential shock hazards on the individual branch circuit. The downstream 3 prong replacement receptacles must then be labeled as "no equipment ground present".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must then assume my 2 prong recepticles are sufficient and meet Code as 3 different electricians who updatedbasement and exterior wiring, never said we must upgrade every m2 prong with 3 prong outlets?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) All depends upon when the home was built. If the home was built prior to the early 1960's, 2 prong receptacles were code compliant then and are still code compliant now. But not recommended. Always recommended to install a grounding system and at a minimum, install GFCI protection to protect against potential shock hazards if equipment grounding conductors are not present in the branch circuits. 2) Homes built prior to the early 1960's were typically not grounded. After the early to mid 1960's, electrical equipment grounding on all branch circuits was required on all new home construction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS Your response is the same as I've acquired in other internet inquiries at no cost. CANCEL my account if in fact one was created by my inquiry. Incidently, our home was buillt in 1958. Again, CANCEL any further charge beyond the $11.00 I've
been billed My Files
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I see as I just wasted 10 minutes of my time providing you with all NEC code compliant information and correct answers on your application. I guess you can now consider my answers as another freebie to you and no pay for me? I love working for free:( I will opt out of the question and you can contact customer service for your refund if you like..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin or Whom it may Concern:
Thanks. Just make certain you've cancelled me from the Just Answer account as I've requested.
John Quinn

Related Electrical Questions