Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My name is ***** *****, I have a 12-2 that runs out to a

Customer Question

HI my name is ***** *****, I have a 12-2 that runs out to a barn and I am wondering if I can connect a 14-3 to it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well what I have is an old barn that has 12-2 run to it. There is nothing existing on the line I want to run the 14-3 that I have so that I have one outlet and a switch for 2 lights
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Is the 12/2 an NM Romex cable or UF (gray Underground Feeder) cable? 2) How many amps is the circuit breaker that is currently protecting the 12/2 cable? 15 or a 20 amp breaker? 3) Why do you require a 3 conductor cable when you only have a 2 conductor cable present? A 3 conductor cable contains a red wire. There is no red wire in a 12/2 cable.