Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a faint chirping sound, one chirp every minute or so.

Customer Question
I assumed it was the...
I have a faint chirping sound, one chirp every minute or so. I assumed it was the house wired smoke detectors and replaced them all. I've ruled that out. Its hard to figure out where it is coming from. Seems like hall ceiling or even the adjacent outdoor HVAC unit, or from kitchen. It chirps even though HVAC is seldom used and I've turned off most every house breaker and still get a faint chirp. We have a tankless water heater and circulator on other side of house, buy no chirp there. Any ideas? / Jim
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
4/10/2016
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
hi ............I wouldn't rule out the smoke detectors..........did you replace them or the batteries?..............they are hard wired I assume...................I'm sure you have one in the hallway so maybe you could stand right under it to see if it is chirping ............and you don't want to power off the breakers that is when they notify you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are hard wired. I stood under the hallway detector near source of chirp, but sounded like chirp was coming from adjacent bedroom that had a non-wired battery detector. I removed all 6 hardwired and the 3 old non hard wired detectors from house. Still had chirp. I replaced all of the hard wired detectors yesterday. Still get a chirp and chirp is not coming exact areas of the detectors, its faint and appears to be several feet away. Thats why I have ruled out smoke detectors.
got ya .............I will opt out then so maybe one of my esteemed colleagues might have another answer...........good luck
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Disconnect each smoke detector one at a time if they are hard-wired and leave them disconnected. Un-plug the wiring harness connector at the back of each smoke. If the smokes also contain a battery, remove each battery and hit the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds to discharge the internal capacitor. Once each smoke has been disconnected from house power, listen if the chirping goes away or remains. If only battery connected, remove each battery and hit the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds to discharge the internal capacitor. Once this is completed, kill power to the HVAC condenser unit and furnace by shutting the respective circuit breakers to the OFF position. 2) Are the hard-wired smokes inter-connected with the 3rd inter-communication wire? In other words, if one hard-wired smoke goes off, then all other hard-wired smokes go off simultaneously? 3) Doe the chirping go away or remain? Reply back with the results.............Thanks.............Kevin:)
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor