Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am replacing a kitchen light with ceiling fan with lights.Old

Customer Question

I am replacing a kitchen light with ceiling fan with lights.Old setup has three black,one white tied in,three white tied in,one loose black,and four bare wires tied in.Receptacle with two switches.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does your new fan have a remote control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Have you already removed the light fixture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you disconnect any wires in the ceiling box other than the ones that were connected to the light fixture you removed?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you are able to post a photo of the ceiling box, with all wires shown, that may make it quicker and easier to get everything connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. the one black was tied to the light and the one lighting wire going into the ceiling came loose before I could see what it was tied in to.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'm sure we can figure out how to reconnect everything. Is there anything else in the house not working now... other lights or outlets that you are aware of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both kitchen lights and living room light are off with the one box switch
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That could mean the black that came apart needs to go to a constantly live black in the box where you are putting the fan. That would take constant power down to a switch for lights that aren't currently working.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There would be multiple wires connected to the constantly live feed wire, based on your description of what you have in the box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what do I connect the fan black and white to?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Fan black should go to the black that was connected to the black wire on the light fixture you removed. Fan white should go to a bundle of other whites. If the fan has a blue wire (that would be for the light kit on the fan), it would go to the same black wire from the ceiling that the fan black goes to, assuming one wall switch will have master control over both fan and light kit. Since the old fixture was a light, rather than a fan, you probably don't have wiring in place for separate wall switches for fan and light kit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ther are only two switches on separate walls
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
And both of those controlled the light you took down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.off on with either switch
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. The wires in the ceiling box would be the same, even with your 3 way switch setup, as they would be with a single switch for the removed fixture. That being the case, please connect as previously described. You will still have two switches, on separate walls, for master control of fan and light together. Typically, a fan that doesn't have a remote control would have pull chains, one for the light and one for the fan. Is that how your new fan is set up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.the motor has one black,one white,one green,and one blue
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
In that case, connect fan black and fan blue to ceiling black that was previously connected to removed light fixture. This should be one black wire from the ceiling box, not connected to any other wires than the fan wires (unless the 3 way switches controlled more than one ceiling light). Fan white to bundle of whites, and fan green to bundle of ground wires.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I will stand by while you make connections. You can let me know how it works out, or post additional questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Please post and update at your convenience. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind.There are two braces that connect together so I will obviously have to get someone who knows what they are doing to install this.The wiring has to go before the braces and I'm having a hard time trying to tie it all in.Thank you for your time.I won't be signing up for a monthly service,this is the last time I'm trying this.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's okay, you don't need to feel pressured to sign up for a subscription. Those prompts come from another part of the site, and are automated. The experts never see them. I appreciate the opportunity to help, and if you decide to keep working on it yourself, you can simply reply to this thread.