Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Can you assist with wiring 3 recessed lights? 2 of the

Customer Question
Hi. Can you assist with...
Hi. Can you assist with wiring 3 recessed lights? 2 of the lights are already wired. I took one down 1st in line and there are 3 wires going to it. Looks like 1 of the wires had the black capped. Re wired as it was I think and not working. Assume 3 wires are power, switch wire, and next recessed light. Switch seems to be connected to power in switch box too.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
4/10/2016
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Switch is connected in 4 gang box. Red wire on switch goes to black wire feeding light. Black on switch goes to all blacks in box. White wire on wire to recessed light from 4 gang boxgoes to all whites in box.
Do you have any type of electrical tester, to identify the hot wire at the fixture?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Unfortunately not.
OK, that's not a terrible problem. With the breaker turned OFF, you can connect the 3 sets of house wires to the fixture wires, one set at a time, and then turn the breaker on. Once you find a set that brings the light on as soon as the breaker is turned on, you've found the feed to the ceiling box. Should I stand by while you try that?
Two things to note when trying the ceiling wires to the fixture wires... keep like colors together, and turn the breaker off while connecting each set, only turning it on after wires are securely connected.
Also, did you make any wiring changes in the wall switch box?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Just not sure why one black wire on one of the feeds would be capped.
Just to confirm, you found one black wire capped by itself at the fixture?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes.
I agree with you... that doesn't sound right to me either.
Based on your description of the wiring, all wires should be needed at the first fixture. Anyway, we can proceed with what I've suggested. If we run out of time before I have to leave for church, we can pick it back up in the early afternoon. Will that work for you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All 3 wires together does not work. Trying the final 2 together now. FYI. Switch is lutron Macl-600. Light is led screw in type
All three together probably trips the circuit breaker, as it would be a direct short when the switch is turned on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Trying all 3 combos does not turn on the lights.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
U still there?
Hmm. That's a surprise. Would you be able to get some type of electrical tester, and meet me back here this afternoon?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What time? Est
I am on Central Time, so it's almost 8 AM here. How about 12:30 my time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
A basic digital multi meter will cost about $20 at any of the home centers. They're more handy than a pocket tester, as they are able to read more than just live power.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So. I believe wire 2 goes to switch and 1 goes to lights. I replaced with a standard on off switch and works the lights. Attaching wire 3 to either wire 1 or wire 2 does nothing I can tell. But when I require like it was and leave the black on wire 3 capped by itself it works too. So, not sure where wire 3 goes. Will test if it has power once I get tester but doubt it since it does not light lights if fed to lights.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I tell what wire 3 would be for. Only white was wired.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And ground of course
I have had a change in plans. I had to stay home with a sick daughter, so I am available to continue if you are.
If the system was working properly when you started, and you found a black wire capped alone at that time, that's how we should try to wire it.
It's possible the dimmer was damaged by a miswire, and will trip the breaker any time it's wired into the circuit now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just picked up a tester on my way home.
OK, sounds good. I'm not far from the computer, so I'll hear any alerts for new posts.
Also, a photo of the ceiling box showing all wires would be helpful, if you are able to post one.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wire 2 have 122ac on it with switch on. Nothing when switch off.
Thank you for posting the photo, and for the info in your last post. The photo shows the wires as they are currently configured, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Disconnected. Hold on
The second image shows the wires as they are currently configured?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No power on 3. Not sure where it goes and not su
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry. Screen locked up. Yes photo shows current. And it works. Just not sure where 3 goes and why only white is connected to whites and ground connected. What do you think is the reason?
Does the single capped black wire respond to flipping the switch?
Live when switch is on, dead when switch is off?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Goes from .084v to 1 volt.
OK, it appears to be an extra wire, not needed for anything at the location you are working on. When you originally began the project, the configuration you posted the second photo of is how you found the wires, with the removed fixture's appropriate colors included, correct?
Whatever is at the other end of the capped black wire must have needed a neutral wire, and they tapped into the other whites at the ceiling box in question in order to get a neutral to that location.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. How could I trace? Or very hard?
You would need a circuit tracer, ideally. Or, if you take the white that is with the capped black out of the circuit, something else will stop working. You could then open boxes in the affected area, and use the continuity setting on your meter to find the other end of the capped black wire. If everything works with it capped, I would leave it that way, especially if that's how you originally found it. Checking your latest image now.
Yes, that's okay, particularly with 14 gauge wire. Just don't get the clamp screws too tight, in order to prevent piercing the jacket on the wire.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K. Thanks
I don't see any benefit in tracking down the black wire at this time, if everything works with it capped. If you find yourself working on another wiring project on that circuit at a later time, you could trace it then, if necessary.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Agree.
So, if you add the light fixture's black to the two joined blacks, and the light fixture's white to the three joined whites, everything works, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes
Great. Sounds like you are all set. But I'll stand by until you tell me we are done.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Think we are done. I have to get ic rated lights. Thanks.
Happy to help. If you find that you need additional assistance, please let me know. Have a blessed day.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
U2
Thank you.
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician