Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I need to connect an existing phone line to a Leviton R72-40529-PMW,

Customer Question

I need to connect an existing phone line to a Leviton R72-40529-PMW, 3 GHZ MIDWAY WALLPLATE 4 CONDUCTOR PHONE.
The old wall plate had a clip in 4 wire clip that was connected to the screws & the two phone lines from the wall were also connected to the screws. With this model I don't see any wiring to connect with the phone wires. I don't see any place for me to clip in the old 4 wire clip either.
How do I connect my phone wire to this model?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Can you take a picture of the back of the wall plate and post it here so I can see what you have? 2) How many wires and the wire colors on the house telephone cable? Are the wire colors? A) green, red, black and yellow or B) white/blue, blue/white, white/orange and orange/white? 3) How many telephone lines do you want to connect to the wall plate? 1 or 2 lines? 4) Does the back of the wall plate contain 4 screws or does it contain color coded punch down slots?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) I am not sure how to upload the pictures. I clicked add files and chose the pictures, but nothing seems to have attached.
The original plate has a round base with 4 screws & a clip-in clip with green, black, red & yellow wires and a "u" shaped end on each wire to place under the screws.
2 & 3) The wire coming from my wall has several wires. All but the blue solid and blue striped wires are folded back against the wire sheath. The two blue/blue striped wires were the ones attached to my original plate under the screws where the green and red "clip" wires were also attached.
4) The plate I bought has a black square base with 4 screws. It does not have any wires with it, just the base and screws.
I cannot see any place to attach the clip with the wires, that I detached from he old plate.
I don't know how it will work w/o the red, green, black & yellow wires attached to it, but maybe they are built in somehow that I cannot see.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies and the pic. I need to see what the new wall plate connections look like? Please send me a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't see that an image was attached. I tried to attach more pictures, but it didn't seem to work last time. I will try again.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the new pic's. I am unable to clearly view the screws, but it looks like the screws are labeled as "Y, B, R & G" , is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, very good. Thanks for confirming. 1) Your existing telephone cable consists of the 4 following wire color pairs. A) white/blue & blue/whiteB) white/orange & orange/whiteC) white/green & green/whiteD) white/brown & brown/white 2) If you want 2 separate phone lines terminated to the RJ11 wall jack, these 2 lines will reside on the white/blue & blue/white and the white/orange & orange/white pairs. 3) Terminate the house cable wires as follows: A) White/blue to green screw (tip) . Blue/White to red screw (ring) ----------> this is line #1B) White/orange to black screw (tip) . Orange/white to yellow screw (ring)------> this is line #2 The green and brown wire pairs will not be used, so just leave them spaired out and coiled around the other wire pairs. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I don't understand a thing you just said.
I want to connect the wiring to the phone jack plate.
I was guessing I could hook it up the same way the old round phone jack plate was hooked up. It had the blue and the blue& white wires hooked up to the screws at the green & red screws as you can see in the picture of the old plate still hooked up.
I want to know if I can use the new black square base jack plate I bought. Do I need to worry that there are no wires in the package when I opened it? No red, green, blue or yellow wires I mean. There are the slots as we've mentioned but no wires.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) The screws located on the back of the RJ11 wall plate are internally connected to the front side of the jack where you insert the line cord. This is how the connection from the house wires to the line cord connection are made. 2) Terminate the 4 wires onto the wall plate screw terminals as per my previous answer. G screw = white/blue wireR screw = blue/white wireB screw = white/orangeY screw = orange/white wire Reply back to me and let me know if you have dial tone.........Thanks.........Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.