Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Can i break a 210 volt 3 wire circuit into two 110 volt circuits

Customer Question

can i break a 210 volt 3 wire circuit into two 110 volt circuits using the same common white wire
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Yes, you can. This is known as a Multi-Wired Branch Circuit, better known as a Shared neutral circuit. 2) The caveats are as follows when installing an MWBC circuit as shown below: A) The 3 wires (2 hots and 1 neutral) must either originate from the same cable assembly or the same conduit at the electrical panel. If conduit was installed for the branch circuit then the 3 wires must be identified inside the panel either zip tying or taping the 3 wires together prior to entering into conduit. B) A full size double pole circuit breaker with a built-in trip handle or 2 separate full size single pole breakers that contain a common trip handle tie must be installed. The preferred is to use a full size double pole breaker. The 2 phases of the circuit must land on opposite phases within the electrical panel. If the 2 phases both land on the same phase within the panel, the neutral wire will overload and create a potential fire issue. Tandem or mini circuit breakers are not allowed on an MWBC circuit. C) The white neutral wire that terminates at devices cannot be installed as a "feed thru". The neutral must always be pigtailed connected to the device side terminal screws if feeding other downstream devices. 3) In addition to identifying the shared neutral inside the electrical panel, I always recommend to place some white electrical tape and label the neutral as "shared neutral" with a sharpie pen at every splice and/or termination point in the 2 shared circuits. This is not a code requirement but is recommended to provide a "heads-up" to the next person who may be replacing devices on either of the 2 circuits. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)