Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.
92448011

Craig, JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about

Customer Question

Hi Craig,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a single power source, and want to run it to switch #1 which powers one light, then continue the power source to switch #2 which will power one light and then power an outlet after the light. I've got 14/3 from switch #2 to the light then back to 14/2, but right now when I turn on my power source, switch #1 operates the light correctly, but switch #2 doesn't work at all, and light #2 is on no matter what....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical issue. So do you have power in switch #1 box, then a 2 wire from #1 switch to the light, and another 2 wire to switch #2, then a 3 wire from #2 switch to #2 light, then from #2 light a 2wire to a receptacle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, that is correct.
Is this how you've got everything wired?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it looks the same, except the 12/3 from switch #2 to the light and beyond. From switch #2, the red connects to the red in the light, the black piggybacks to the hot black from switch #1 and connects to the black in light 2 (also with the black for the outlet, and white from power source connects to both lights and the outlet. I think where i'm messed up is on the red wires from the 12/3 and light 2 as it has red/black/white wires.
Yes, sounds like you have hot to the light and not a switch leg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try tomorrow after work....thank you!
Ok cool, let me know if that doesn't get it done. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do, you have a good night also..thanks