Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Ok, I have an eaton cutler hammer single phase dry type transformer

Customer Question

Ok, I have an eaton cutler hammer single phase dry type transformer and I'm trying wire it back together on both sides, from my tanning bed which has 3 wires (white, black, green) to the transformer and from the transformer to the plug in wires which has 3 wires (black, green, yellowish white). Inside the transformer there is H1,H2,H3,H4, X1,X2,X3,X4. H2 and H3 are already together. What is the rest of the sequence.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question today. In order to determine which connections you need to make on the transformer you need to know the voltage of the transformer and what your primary voltage is coming from the plug and what the secondary voltage is for the tanning bed. Can you please provide this info?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What steps should I go through to ck voltage? Coming out of the socket is 249 vac, one lead in each of the power holes or 124vac with on lead in ground and one in hot. Can't find anything on the tanning bed to tell me but it is a sunvision28LE and the transformer is a 120x240. Sorry I'm electrically challenged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I could find on the tanning bed is 220 vac
No worries my friend. So we have 240 volts primary voltage, good. Is there a name plate or model number on the transformer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S10N04A01N
That comes up as a 120/240 to 12/24V transformer. Is this just for some controls or something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean?
Well the tanning bed is 220V and your supply is 240V which is essentially the same. But that model number for the transformer you gave is a 120/240 down to 12/24V transformer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was hooked up once before then I tried to hook up a different transformer that I had laying around and it did not work so now I'm trying to hook this one back up. Well I think this may have been used commercially but is now for home use. ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea I just know this transformer is the one that came with it and was working just fine till I had the bright idea to test the other transformer and realized I don't know how to wire this thing back together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, so on the left hand side there, you see the connections chart. You have 240 volt so H2+H3 together. Then bring your black to H1 and your white to H4. However, Im not sure what you need on the secondary either 12 or 24 volts. Is there another power connection to the unit?
Sorry, my bad the tanning bed needs 220v and cannot have an input of more than 230v. Let me confirm the connections and get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure X1 and X3 were together and X2 and X4 were together but not sure where all my wires from the tanning bed and also the plug wire in together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought the green wires wire together alone, and white wires wire together alone. But where do the H1 and H4 wire in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
H2H3 together. X2X3 together. black from incoming and black from tanning bed together with H4. white from tanning bed together with H1X4. and white from incoming to X1. If you hook it all up but dont connect the bed wires, you can check voltage and make sure its good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me give it a shot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greens together alone?
Yes, and maybe ground the can of the transformer too if there is a lug or screw on it or something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
so you check voltage between H4 and H1X4. and nothing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Nothing
Can you hear the transformer humming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried plugging it in
Ah ok cool. Do you have the wires from the tanning bed connected or no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now I have it all torn down. Do you want me to put it together like u previously told me and plug it in?
If you connect the transformer and power wires, plug it in, and then check voltage. Need to be sure its roughly 220v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we are getting somewhere, hooked it all up like u previously said and now it's humming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I put my leads now to check voltage
ok and if you put your meter leads on H4 and H1X4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
228vac
Beauty. So your wires from the bed go there and you've got 228v to the bed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have all my wires already wired up so do I need to move wires around? Sorry I'm just a little confused
Oh you already have the wires from the tanning bed connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White from the bed is in with H1X4. Black from bed is with black from plug&H4. Greens are together alone.
White from plug is with X1.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my bed is not turning on
Ok so you've got everything connected. You've got 228V output to the bed, it should be good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something is wired different because I am short a wire nut, I'm using am piece of tape instead bc I have used up all the wire nuts. But this thing is humming again!
Ready to get your bronze on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol this is for my woman(mainly)...haha but I can't get this damn thing to turn on
Is there another connection box on the bed itself, where you could check voltage, make sure its getting power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the plug from the under side and its reading 123vac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how many leads on that plug? is there any access to inside of where those cords go in to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No easy access but I'm prolly gonna start tearing it down :)
if you try your meter in other leads to you get 228v?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If one lead is in the top left, other lead in top right=nothing but keeping lead in left and go clockwise right side=123 bottom=127 left side 123.
Lead in left side going clock wise top left 123, top right 123, opposite side=nothing, bottom 2.7
do you still have 228 off the transformer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
So then what are we missing... It worked fine before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked fine. I don't know what's going on but I'm gonna mess with it for awhile.
when you were trying that other transformer did you have it connected to the bed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other transformer already had the wires running out of it on both ends. So I thought just hooking the 3 wires from the bed to the 3 wires from the transformer, and the other three wires from the transformer to the 3 wires from the plug would work but I got nothing.
did you check the voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, it didn't even hum so I wanted to just go ahead and hook the original back up. But I just now think I hooked something up wrong bc I fried my plug in. No voltage from socket
trip the breaker? what did you hook up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't trip the breaker which has me worried, something is fried in the socKet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so yes it threw the breaker out back 😨
was there a short somewhere?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely but now I'm hooked up the way you told me. No more deviating from the plan!