Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Bought light kits fans in our house. They seemed pretty

Customer Question
Bought light kits for the...
Bought light kits for the fans in our house. They seemed pretty cut and dry. Blue to black and white to white and then plug in the pin connector which I did. I have done fans before and they have always worked but these fans have a on and off switch on the wall for the light and a 4 way rotary switch on the wall (low-med-high-off) After hooking them up the on and off switch on the wall is not working and the fan rotary switch is turning the light on only when in high mode. The fan and light can be operated on and off and low-med-high-off with the two chains. When hooking them up I noticed that besides the blue and white wire and the pin connector there is two gray wires threaded together with a twist on cap.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
4/5/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest checking the connections in the canopy. The black and blue wires need to be on separate connections.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The wires in the light kit had a tape around them that said light connections. They were blue and white. The wires in the fan were black and white. The instructions said white to white and blue to black.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything else goes into the connectors except for those two gray wires that are wired together on the light via a twist on cap
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The light kits and fans are in our home in NC and we are back in Jersey right now
The description you gave makes it more than likely the problem is the connections in the canopy. When you're back in NC, check it. You can always come back for follow ups.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician