ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Can Legrand ADORN dimmers switches work with WAC duorail

Customer Question

Can Legrand ADORN dimmers switches work with WAC duorail lighting systems. LED
Our very yound electrician seams to think there is something wrong with the dimmers , that they are not compatible with the transformers.
Actually he can't make then work anywhere in the unit. Sherry **********
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the model number of the Legrand dimmer switch?

2) Is the WAC duorail system a 120 volt system or a low voltage 12 or 24 volt system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Legrand Adorn soft tap dimmer model # *****
WAC LM2 transformers#LM2-EN12-3000-BN
LIGHT FIX- WAC---#QF-LEDX3-115BN
And WAC led duorail model #-LM-T8-BN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also not dimming this fixture.
R4-499SAT transformers
OR R4-499SAT being used with a resesed
Can by Beach LightingR4-559 & a MR16 led 4w
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wac rail 12V
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12V 300W
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies.

1) The WAC system is a low voltage lighting system which requires the transformer to step down the line voltage from 120 volts down to 12 volts.

2) Low voltage lighting transformers require a compatible Electronic Low Voltage (ELV) type of dimmer switch. The dimmer model number you provided shows that it can support ELV technology. However, I am unable to locate any information on the WAC website that highlights which manufacturer dimmer switch model numbers are compatible with the WAC 12V system transformer.

Even though the specs show that the Legrand dimmer model can support ELV technology, my thought is that it is not compatible with the transformer.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board here. Perhaps another electrical expert can chime in and may know which dimmer model number will be compatible with the transformer.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question...........Thanks:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the new person see the extra notes I sent with model # ***** ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the next expert will be able to view all of our Q&A and replies here, including the extra information (model numbers) that you provided.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Though the dimmer is rated for 700 Watts, it has anot LED Rating of only 450 Watts. The complete specifications/installation instructions are available on the manufacturer's site - www.legrand.us/adorne/products/dimmers/adtp703tum4.aspxIf possible, reduce the wattage by removing a lamp or two to see if it will dim this load.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
has an LED Rating of only 450 Watts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have two transformers and ten lights inn each . The rails are duorail. So they supply power toeach. I don't know the propper verbage. Anyhow half of the lights on one dimmer go on. And the other half went on yesterday. But they are not consistent. The dimmer in the bathroom.Also the same set to 8-recessed cans also does not work. I had to turn the breaker on to get the lights on and off. The switch dimms but doubt go on our off
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the size in watts of the LEDS in the bathroom? And on the duorail, the total wattage is 300, correct?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
As Kevin said, the dimmer is rated for the transformers if the wattage is not too high <450.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
I have had this issue before in the field wih LEDs that are rated by the manufacturer as compatible but that still will not work no matter what you try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait, you've had this exact problem ? With the WAC duorail led and the Legrand Adorne dimmers ?
Im.not an electrician but rhe one we paid $10,400.00 to install all three lighting and switches and outlets apparently is but had been working on it for at least 50 hours and still morning works. His last words to me was ,"ive spent all the budgettrying to figure it out and if you want them to work you can pay me to come back but I think there is something wrong with them"
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT?
Isn't it his job to make it work. He knew what we purchased a month or more ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill get that for you tomorrow. I truly appreciate your help. All of you. Thanks
Sherry , Long Beach, California
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, no I have not had the exact problem withe the exact items. I was speaking generally of issues I have had when trying to use dimmers on LED Lighting that is listed as compatible with the dimmer manufacturer.
The issue that you have with your electrician may/may other be a serious legal problem...again I speak generally - in my opinion it depends on who specified the components for the installation as to who may ultimately be responsible. Some of hat may be with the manufacturer if the system is installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very helpful. Thank you for all your advice. I guess I just thought when he couldn't do it that he probably should have know from the day I showed him all the components and fixtures that as an electrician he was the person who should know and had he then it wouldnt have taken him a month of trial and error and 10,400. To then say I cant make it work, there must be something wrong.
I could have told him that. But to wait 30 days. He then could have inquired. At least thats wgat I would have and am doing now. In my progression when I accept a job it is then my responsibility to find out exactly how to do that task if I do not know. Not the other way arround.
Hes blaming me for not knowing how to do his job.
Anyhow , im.still at it. Thank you all so much. If you put this question back out there like kevin did in the beginning. Maybe someone else will pick it up. Although I Steve covered all the bases.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
This was Kevin & Ken, I didn't see where Steve assisted. Good luck with your project
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve is a typo. Sorry..Thank you kevin and ken
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Thanks