Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a Hunter ceiling fan that came with a light kit. The

Customer Question

I have a Hunter ceiling fan that came with a light kit. The lights just stopped working....but the fan still works. Could this be an issue with the watt governor or something else?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The lights on my ceiling fan/light just stopped working. I've tried new bulbs and pulling the pull chain but nothing works.
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter to take voltage measurements inside the sockets of the light kit? This will confirm if voltage is getting to the sockets?

2) Are you using light bulbs that do not exceed the wattage rating of the light kit?

3) Have you performed a visual inspection on the fan wattage limiter to see if any external damage has occurred?

Refer to the link shown below. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, there are pictures of what a wattage limiter looks like. The limiter is located where the light kit wiring harness connects to the fan motor housing area.

http://eceilingfans.com/pc_boards_-_ceiling_fans.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) I think I have this but not real familiar with how to use it.
2) No. I was using 3 of the spiral shaped bulbs that did exceed the recommended wattage and 1 candalabra bulb to prevent the flickering. This worked for several years until yesterday. First the candalabra bulb blew out. Then the hole thing turned off. New bulbs still won't work so I know that isn't the problem.
3) Yes, the wattage limiter looks fine.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If flickering was occurring, the problem can be a loose wire splice or a loose wire termination.

2) If you have a voltmeter available, set it to the AC voltage setting (will have a sine wave symbol), then set it to the 200 volt range. Very carefully, place 1 meter probe to the interior threaded portion of the socket (this is the neutral connection). Then place the 2nd meter probe directly to the middle tip inside the socket where the light bulb makes direct contact (this is the hot wire connection). The color of the meter probes placed inside the socket does not matter.

Be especially careful when performing this test as to not let the meter probes touch each other inside the socket, otherwise it will create a direct short circuit. Make sure you remove all jewelry when performing this test. Have an assistant help you turn the light kit ON & OFF several times when taking the voltage measurements.

Reply back and let me know how you make out............Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Another option to test the light kit...............If the light kit is the traditional fan type of kit (one that has 2 wire splices....ie..... 1 black and 1 white) that can be easily removed from the bottom portion of the fan and you have a few pieces of 14 AWG Copper wire and an extension cord, you can also temporarily hot wire the light kit to a nearby wall receptacle using the extension cord to confirm if the light kit is working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not too comfortable in doing this. The flickering only happened when I had 4 spiral bulbs. When I had 3 spiral bulbs and one normal one it was fine. I was just wondering if there's something I can by-pass? I've seen videos on how to bi-pass the wattage limitor but the one I have also has two blue wires coming out of it. There is also a slide control to switch the fan direction. There's also a couple of what I think are capacitors of some sort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure that this is a traditional light kit. It doesn't have a 2-wire connect setup. It has a wiring harness that plugs in. Right now I've got the entire light kit disconnected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wiring harness is square with 9 squares....7 of which have wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing this fan is about 8 years old if that helps?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Try installing traditional incandescent bulbs as a test. Use 40 or 60 watt bulbs as most light kits are rated for a max of 60 watts each.

If the limiter is a 2 wire device, the limiter will need to be temporarily removed and the 2 light wires temporarily spliced together in order to by-pass the limiter.

Yes, I understand your concerns on testing this. Since the light kit contains a plug-in harness connection, locating the hot and neutral point for the light kit requires further evaluation and testing.

The quickest and 1st test method to isolate and troubleshoot the problem is to take voltage measurements directly inside the light bulb sockets.

It is possible that the wattage limiter has become faulty. An exact replacement type would be required. Unfortunately, Home Depot or Lowe's does not sell wattage limiters. Yes, they can become defective over the years.

Another possibility is that there is a loose wire connection inside the wire harness or pull chain switch.

The problem won't be the capacitor, those are only used to control the speed of the fan motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried the incandescent bulbs....no luck with that. This limiter has 6 wires going into it as follows:
1 - Neutral in (white)
2 - Common out (white)
3 - Live in (black)
4- Light out (red)
5 - Pull chain (blue)
6 - Pull chain (blue)I'm not sure how to by-pass this with so many wires? Also, there doesn't appear to be any loose wires and all components look intact.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) One other test you can try is to test the voltage leaving the pull chain and going to the light. Possibly a faulty pull chain switch?

2) Is the fan only controlled via pull chains or do you have a wall switch or a remote?

3) Unfortunately, fan manufacturers never provide a wiring schematic of the fan or light kit. If the limiter needs to be replaced, all wires will need to be labeled and identified prior to de-installing. Or only 1 wire at a time can be removed and then spliced onto the replacement limiter. If removing all wires simultaneously, then it is easy to forget how it was originally wired. Since the limiter has so many wires and a schematic is typically never available, I would just replace the limiter. Would be very difficult to by-pass the limiter with so many wires and no available diagram. The only source that I am aware of who provides exact limiter replacements is from the link I previously provided.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)