Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I'm having issues with the electrical in my house. I have

Customer Question

I'm having issues with the electrical in my house. I have lost power in my whole house except in my bedroom. we've replaced the main power breaker, and each breaker inside the box in the house has power going to it. when you plug something in or turn on a light switch, I lose all power again.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my lights won't even turn on\
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What type of tester do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just a power tester
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Is it one of those pocket testers that beeps and/or lights up when placed near a live wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lights up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. In order to get an accurate assessment of the problem, it would be ideal to have a digital volt meter with two leads. That way, we can take the necessary readings at the main breaker.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It may be a power company problem. Have you contacted them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have contacted them and the tech said that everything on their end is good.
that i needed to contact an electrician
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OK. It could be in the meter base (outside) as well. Will you be able to get a volt meter? If so, are you comfortable taking readings in the breaker panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can get one, and yes i am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wont be able to do that til tomorrow.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OK, that's great. Just reply here when you get the meter, and we can continue. If I am offline when you return, I'll find your reply as soon as I log on, and I'll respond accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

A thought to consider... your question is a good candidate for a phone consultation. However, I need to let you know that this would involve an extra charge. So if you prefer to continue here, that's fine as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have great cell service at home. Or I would.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OK, no problem. I'll look for your reply tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you again
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will be on the site for the next few hours, so you can reply at any time.